Thursday, December 13, 2007

It takes a lot to laugh




I have to say, I have been frequently impressed with the innovativeness with which people here take on the challenges of a weak public infrastructure, little capital, and poverty. The buses for example are extremely overcrowded--you get the sense that they could run many more and they'd all be full--but they've built benches up on top as a first step to alleviating the crowdedness.
There are no pay phones, but instead there are many booths where you can buy more cell phone minutes (many people have pre-pay plans), and at those booths, you can use a phone that the owner has there, and then pay him for your call afterwards. So, functionally a pay phone, but without the same physical investment.
I went to the post office today and realized while in line that my envelopes did not have the sticky stuff that seals when you lick it. Luckily, the post officer had a gluestick--it is possible that you could not mail things that were already sealed, I am not sure--that he quickly used to close my letters. An old fashion glue stick as a tool for the official post office. A gluestick! I'm not even sure that the post office uses electricity, frankly. I am absolutely amazed at what people here accomplish with the tools they have.
Things here are coming to a close--tomorrow is the official day off and Sunday is Victory Day. I have a few things left to take care of, including figuring out what the departure tax is from here (that would be a rude awakening to learn at 3AM at the airport with no working ATMs), and trying to make it to a beautfy parlor (I know, what a tough life). And tonight, pizza and margaritas with the ex-pats. Alas, still no chocolate. It's painful to think about JP Licks' brownie sundae (JP licks is Boston ice cream chain which has a location across from my office), but I'm pretty sure it's going to be one of the first things I eat upon arrival!

This may be it for the blog. Thanks for reading it, and thanks even more for the e-mails. Makes it harder to be away when you have great people to miss, but the e-mails help me feel connected. Donyobad and asalam aleikum!

1 comment:

Peggy May said...

Ok so what I have learned from your trip is - I need by more glue stick stock, invest in a sandwich and chocolate shop that sells TP.

What a wonderful experience you have had. Thanks for sharing!