Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How to speak Colombian, and other tidbits

To sound convincingly Colombian, one must use the term "marica" frequently (roughly translates into "dude" in its usage).  Example, "Hola, marica!" or "Marica, vamos a la playa."  If you are a gringa, you can get a good laugh out of folks by using it to open and close a sentence: Marica, tengo hambre, marica.  Using terms like "Chimba" (adj; meaning REALLY good or bad), bacana (cool), and chevere (also cool) and adding super in front of adjectives for emphasis will also help.
I should note that "marica" in other countries is a bit of insult, so this is really a guide for how to speak in Colombia only.

Couple quick updates:
1.  I am swinging in a hammock while writing this post.
2.  I've slept in a hammock the past 4 nights.
3.  Every shower I've taken in the last week has been using a bucket (my hair looks GREAT)
4.  Colombia continues to be more and more fun.  There's a saying here that "the only risk in coming to Colombia is never leaving."  I agree!

None shall pass, marica!
Summaries of Cartagena and Gujira forthcoming.  I've been out camping in the middle of the desert/beach and didn't take my computer with me, so I have some catching up to do.

No comments: