Tuesday, February 15, 2011

On a scale of 1-10.. . .

or some time, often while trying to make browsing the human development index reports and similar composites slightly less painful, I’ve been thinking about what one would include in a travel acuity index. So sure, you’ve been to a country, but did you truly experience that country with all your senses? It’s not just about the number; there’s a need for a more multidimensional measure that can lead to greater bragging rights, I mean, a fairer basis for comparison.
So here’s a first shot—feel free to add or reject these (clearly they favor how I travel; I've added examples for most categories in parentheses):
Point for physically being in a country: 1.

Add one point for each of the activities that you attempted or completed during your stay:

Entered the house of a local: (Living with a family, check)

Ate a food you’d never tried before: (these new green fruits, boli(??), are one of my new go-to snacks.  I've yet to try dipping my sandwich at the 10AM tea break in ketchup.  I just can't do it)
Spoke in the local language: (I figured out using WORDS that the other woman in the elevator was going to the second fl and pushed the button for her)
OR
Began to speak English in a very “standard” way: (Me: “Will you be having any celebrations for Valentine’s Day?” hmmm)

Participated in an athletic competition: (I hear that there are pick-up basketball games, but I’ve yet to find them. And I’ll a little scared that my skillz are rusty)

Used health services: (does homeopathic count? My nasty cough was “cured” (or more precisely disappeared after I took) tea made with fresh tulsi leaves from my host mother’s tree with ginger and honey)

(Intentionally) when on a date with a local: (The key word is always intentionally)

Got something repaired: (My french press works! And I have coffee from the Tolima region of Colombia (yeah Ibague!) to brew each morning)

Wore local clothing: ( I am starting to feel less like Ronald McDonald when I wear red pants, but still am a little skeptical when someone says they like my outfit)

Had a local phone number: (note to self, you don’t have to give the number to everyone who asks for it!)

Broke a law: (like I would write that on my blog! No of course I haven’t. . .)

Took transportation that you couldn’t take at home: (CNGs, also called baby taxis, autorickshaws, and tuk-tuks, can weave through traffic, but they kind of feel like a cage and I have to turn the public health part of my brain off)

Interacted with the passport office: (You probably deserve a medal for patience. Whew!  Cross your fingers on my visa extension so that I don't end up spending a month homeless in India.)

Had an experience that made you feel humble: (walking through the slums every morning reminds me that my work is just a drop in the bucket)

Laughed at yourself: (trying to do yoga with mosquitos never fails to reduce me to a heap of sweat and giggles when I fall from trying to swat at them mid-pose)

Performed: (sang Taylor Swift at full volume while walking home, check. Have also reconnected with someone I KNOW to be an awesome guitar player because we performed together the last time I was here)

Worked: (two weeks and they haven’t fired me yet! And no one even told me that Saturday was a workday. Too bad I came into the office on the sly to use the internet and found it. . . full of all my co-workers.)

Felt uncomfortable: (hmmm, so many to choose from. . . probably having a power failure in a full elevator--twice now--is the experience that I'd give up most quickly).

Watched a local sport: (Cricket world cup is this weekend; working on finding a Bangladesh jersey!)

Were surprised by people: (after spending 15 minutes finding the right washer for my French press, the guy at the store refused any payment. Or finding a high school battle of the bands, including covers of Lady Gaga, Coldplay, Eric Clapton, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Biggest surprise—that they rocked them!)

Got really frustrated: (my tolerance for rickshaw drivers trying to run into me so that I’ll get in a rickshaw is starting to disappear. Yesterday one of them backed into me)

That's what I've got for now.  It's definitely a transition, but there certainly hasn't been a dull moment and I'm still smiling (maybe because I keep making up bilingual jokes that no one gets but me).  And. . . tomorrow is a holiday!  Something about the moon and the authorities reaching an agreement? Sweet!

No comments: