Thursday, March 24, 2011

March Madness

My civic activism has increased exponentially since arriving to this side of the world. Two marches in two months!

7:30AM and we are ready to go!

Today is World Tuberculosis Day. On March 24, 1882 Robert Koch discovered the TB bacillus, so in countries with a lot of TB, there are often a lot of events to raise awareness, try to reduce stigma, and encourage people with symptoms (a cough) to get treatment.

There is NOTHING that can't be done with a rickshaw! Just put a megaphone on top of it and you've got a portable sound system. Video may trump radio star, but rickshaw trumps video.

To be honest, I've just been calling it March Madness in my head and that's why I was excited. Go Duke!


TB or not TB? Stupid question, Hamlet!


I think we had about 1,500 people show up. I'm not sure how that compares to the average number of people in the street. We did have matching t-shirts and hats though.

These ladies have to put up with me every day. Several members of BRAC's Health Programme team. They were really amused that I didn't wear my t-shirt over a salwar kameez (what they are wearing). I was really surprised that they were going to wear t-shirts and couldn't figure out what they'd wear them with, since I've only seen them in saris and salwar kameez. Silly me for thinking that you couldn't combine them.

So, if you are planning a March in Dhaka and are looking for volunteers, I'm your girl. As long as I get a twinkie for breakfast, seems like I will embrace just about any cause. World Peace Forever!

No comments: