Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Getting a move on: first 24 hours


In my first 24 hours in MY OWN APARTMENT* (!!!!!!), I……

Inflated my air mattress and pitched a self standing “bug hut” (narrow tent of mosquito net)—no roaches crawling on my face to welcome me to the place!
Woke up and did a little yoga in my bedroom.
Yes, Ruthie, then I showered.  As if there was doubt.  I only threaten not to when I get to sit next to you for a long period of time in a contained space :) 
Felt very bobo/expat when I spread my fabric from South Africa on my balcony to eat my breakfast of crackers and pb.  Had every intention of reading on my kindle but it was not exactly a leisurely kind of breakfast.
Exposed myself!  By that I mean donned a tank top and shorts.  The benefits of hanging my salwar kameez on the window grates are that I manage to have non-wrinkled clothes for work AND privacy.  Amazing!
Danced around singing Taylor and Beyonce.  I think some people thought I was joking when I said that the main reason I wanted my own place was so that I could jam with my girls and shed the shawl.  Does it make me shallow if it’s really that simple?  I wrinkle my face up condescendingly when I say it so it sounds like it's code for some much deeper need for privacy.
Went to look at punching bags.  How much do you think a fixture meant for a fan can hold here in Dhaka anyway? A.) 30 kg, B.) 50 kg, C.) Maria, you are an idiot to even be considering this!
Killed like 20 cockroaches …..but none on the bed.  It's kind of fun to beat the mess out of them with a flipflop yelling, "Die you *$&*%#&*#!"  And decent exercise if you have bad aim.
Just spotted a lizard (they are good guys because they eat mosquitos).  Stephen, you want to come visit yet?

I had a BRAC vehicle today to go downtown and the driver asked me if he could turn on the music.  I said sure, whatever he was in the mood for.  That turned out to be Michael Jackson.  After giggling thorugh Billy Jean and Thriller, on the way back, I asked if he had any other cds.  “Old love songs,” he offered.  Why not?  “Uptown girl” was first, and I was bopping along singing in the backseat, but caught by surprise when during Selena’s “Dreaming of you,” he started singing too!  Maybe I didn’t need my own place after all, I just need to change my standards of what to do in public!!

Sorry guys, “Our song” just came up on the play list.  Back to the spastic barefoot dancing on my super-clean tile floor (occasional power outage and bug sightings aren’t helping my sense of rhythm).  You tell ‘em, Taylor. 

* Due to certain circumstances beyond the writer's control and ability to fully capture at this moment, she is only occupying the master bedroom of her apartment at this moment.  It is still larger than her previous apartment in NYC and involves a balcony, so makes the promise of more space seem rather ridiculous (use of the kitchen will be appreciated though).  More details may be provided at a later date.

No comments: