Sunday, July 24, 2011

Bottoms up

I realized this morning that I have acquired a new life skill: I am now a wicked good birdie sipper.  Here people often drink things straight from bottoms, but rarely touch the bottle with their mouth.  I used to think that this was just when you were sharing a bottle (which makes it more hygienic in the absence of glasses), but it's pretty much the norm when you're drinking from a bottle.  I figure they know something I don't (like where the bottle has been), so I've started birdie sipping all the time too.
Like backflips, birdie sipping isn't something you can ease yourself into.  It's all or nothing.  You just go for it, and if you miss, well, everyone will know because it will be all over your shirt.  Once you master it though, you're unstoppable.  You can drink anywhere, anytime, anything.  Nothing can stop you, except perhaps backwash, but don't think about that.  I got in a conversation yesterday with the guy who runs the American Club, and he was saying that there are eight places in Bangladesh where you can trust the ice.  I was skeptical; I've had a lot of frappacinno-like drinks from other places, and while my GI system is pretty hardy, it's no match for the water here.  Which means that the ice that they are using must be legit.  My friend suggested I investigate it, but my point was--what could I possibly learn that would make me feel better? Dhaka being a place where often the best route is to not ask where your food came from, how it was prepared, when it was prepared, etc.  Placebo effect is a powerful thing, and as a natural optimist, I think it's my best defense against bacteria.
But enough on that, let's get back to birdie sipping and my recent accomplishments:
On Friday, I was wearing a black salwar kameez and birdie sipping away at a bottle of lavad (yogurt drink) while up to my (right) elbow in mutton biryani. No spills.
Last night after football, I was walking home in the rain, in the street, hopping puddles, not even pausing when I decided to take a sip of sprite.  Walking while birdie sipping--at this point, easier than patting my head and rubbing my stomach.  Given that I was covered in mud and soaking wet already, no one would have known if I spilled sprite on myself, but I didn't!
Now I'm sitting in the midst of boxes, wires, soon to be demolished and replaced cubicle structures, and general craziness on the 16th floor at the BRAC office (this is what happens when you decide to take advantage of a boss being out of town and make the floor expand from a capacity of 50 to 100 in 5 days flat--I think we're going to get it done too), leisurely sipping on water out of a smirnoff bottle.  Ironic way to start my Sunday.  At least in one sense I'm staying dry :)

Youtube video coming soon--prepare to be amazed by my skillz......

No comments: