Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Friendship, re-defined

A few months ago I shared a definition of friendship that I'd received from a "friend."  One of the fun things about using "flexi-load" (i.e. pre-paid phone time/SMS in some increments) is that you usually have to provide your number for them to transfer it for you.  If you are a.) female, and/or b.) bideshi (not bangladeshi), often they will also keep the number for themselves, or better yet, sell it to others.  So sometimes I get strange calls at odd hours.

The phone rang the other night around midnight and I answered.  I usually say hello a few times, then say, "Apni ke?" (who is this).  If the person does not answer quickly and hasn't said my name at any point, I assume it's an unknown caller and hang up.  And don't answer when they call back.  Or the second time they call back.



So here was the latest text message that came in follow up to the string of calls:
A real friend is that person who see the first tear of your eyes, catches the second drop and stop the third one.  Hello how are you? And if you don't mind. Can I talk with you? Please. Please.Please.Please.Please. Please.Please.Please.Please.

(I don't think that most phones have a copy and paste, so he (or she, I suppose) had to write out "please" every single time).  If that doesn't say dedication, I don't know what does.

Sorry dost, I entered you into my phone as bbn2 (bhalo bondhu na, 2).  At some point the magic word ceases to be so magical.

No comments: