Saturday, February 15, 2014

wherefore Art thou, Dhaka?

The second Dhaka Art Summit took place this past weekend.  The bright pink advertisements all over the streets claimed that it is "the largest art event in South Asia."  I'm always skeptical of these types of statements (recently a mall opened here calling itself the "largest mall in Asia," but right now it's mainly a food court and a lot of empty space).
In any case, we went to the 2012 art summit, so it seemed natural to go to this one.  One major difference was that the objective this year seemed to be exposing Dhaka to the rising artists of South Asia (Pakistan, India, Nepal, etc) rather than showcasing local artists.
#tweeting from the Art Summit
I'm still not much of an art person, but I'm trying.  The installations usually prove to be too much for me--there was a mainly naked man painting himself and the wall with shoe polish, and it just looked like insanity to me.  But here they call it art.

All we're missing is a ball.  Get it?  Basket. Ball.
I probably watched Shazzad looking at art,
more than actually looking at the art itself!
Glad I went, but I'm content with the gallery I have at home!
The latest addition to the home collection.

No comments: