Thursday, March 20, 2014

No interest in fun?

On March 7th we had the annual BRAC Microfinance Programme picnic.  This was the first time that I was invited, and I was not prepared for how serious the organizers were about participation.  For example, buying raffle tickets was "optional" but if I didn't buy at least 8, two of my colleagues were happy to wage a sit-in in my office.

We left at 8AM on Friday morning to get out to Rajendrapur, where BRAC has a beautiful conference facility.
The 9th floor challenged the 13th floor to a "friendly" game of cricket.  There was some energetic celebration after the 13th floor's victory!! (and this carried on later in the night with the DJ!!).
We realize that there is boroi (a tasty fruit) in the tree, and promptly harvest it up for a snack before lunch.
I find a friend to kick the ball around with.
The theme of the event was, "non-interest bearing fun."  I didn't have anything to do with the selection of the title, but heartily approve.  My colleague Paul and I performed "Sunshine (on my shoulders)" by John Denver, complete with a few verses in Bangla.


March 8th was international Women's day, so we closed poetry and songs related to women's empowerment.  The song "We shall overcome" has been translated into Bangla and Hindi, and now has as strong a local history in this part of the world as it does in the United States, or South Africa. All the picnic attendees sang it together.  It was really great to sing such a powerful song in the context of BRAC, in multiple languages.

That was the end for me.  I ate a lot of delicious food for dinner and retreated to my room. The DJ played until 1AM.  I missed the midnight raffle where I got FIFTH place, and my colleagues were kind enough to give me my gift anyway, a beautiful clay vase.

No comments: